SHOUT initiates projects to enhance our community.
Do not go where the path may lead
Go instead where there is no path
And leave a trail ” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
The SHOUT organization walks in the steps of Emerson’s suggestion. SHOUT works to go where there is no path. Simply put, SHOUT feels that it can best serve by initiating new paths in the Community, useful new paths or projects that otherwise might not see the light of day.
For over 20 years SHOUT volunteers have been placing flower plantings and Christmas bows and greens on the bridge every spring and winter. Just one of SHOUT’s downtown beautification efforts.
One of the summers most popular events. Spend an afternoon visiting five or more homes in the South Haven area. A lovely adventure viewing these most interesting & attractive homes. The proceeds from the Cottage Walk benefit community enhancement projects throughout South Haven.
SHOUT’s spearheading and funding of community enhancement projects throughout South Haven have included the donation of two antique-style clocks – One in the park across from City Hall. Another along the River Walk.
As part of its downtown initiative SHOUT has commissioned three sculptures and donated them to the City of South Haven. This little girl sculpture can be found by City Hall, located next to the water garden.
SHOUT DATES – 2020
MAY 28, 10 A.M. – FILL DRAWBRIDGE PLANTERS WITH SOIL
MAY 29, 9 A.M. – PLANT FLOWERS ON BRIDGE
JUNE 27, NOON TO 5 P.M. – ANNUAL SHOUT COTTAGE WALK
OCTOBER 14, 10 A.M. – REMOVE BRIDGE FLOWERS
NOVEMBER 6, 2 P.M. – DECORATE THE BRIDGE WITH HOLIDAY GREENS AND BOWS
FEBRUARY 6, 2 P.M. – REMOVE BRIDGE GREENS AND BOWS
THINGS WE DO
- Initiated – SHOUT South Haven Theatre Series– (Now a separate non-profit)
- Drawbridge Flowers – Plant & Maintain each year
- Drawbridge Holiday Greens & Bows – Decorate each year
- SHOUT Cottage Walk – Sponsor Each Year
- Harbor Walk Antique Style Street Clock at Ellen Avery Park – Donated
- Downtown Antique Style Street Clock – Donated
- Initiated – Political Candidates Forums – (Now turned over to AAUW)
- Initiated / Provided Anchor Funding for American Wind Symphony Ship Visit in 2009
- Initiated – Thursday Night Waterfront Concerts – (Later turned over to the City)
- Street Lamp at Monroe Circle Park – Donated
- Antique Style Street Lamps (13) at North and South Beaches – Donated
- Rain Garden at Huron & Kalamazoo Streets Corner – Donated
- Benches at the beaches (26) – Donated
- Dyckman / Drawbridge Historic Marker – Donated
- “Little Girl with Sand Pail” sculpture in front of City Hall – Donated
- “Seagull” sculpture at west side of City Hall – Donated
- Kiosk for Posting Events in front of Chemical Bank – Donated
- Initiated – SHOUT Yearly Events Calendar – (Now turned over to Chamber of Commerce)
- Free Grant Writing Class for non-profits at LMC – Sponsored
- Initiated – South Haven Performance Series – (Now a separate non-profit)
- Initiated – South Haven Speakers Series – (Now a separate non-profit)
- “Summer Breeze” Street Sculpture on Phoenix Street – Donated in 2016
- “The Wilhelm Baum” historic tug boat – Donated to the Michigan Maritime Museum in 2016
- Scenic Footbridge for the new SHOUT City Park – Donated to the City of South Haven in 2017